Old 16-07-2007, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Where have all the bees gone?

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
I've not seen many (any?) wasps this year either. Normally the Virginia
creeper smothering our house is full of them. I think it gives of some
sort of sweet sticky sap that they like. I don't know if it is nectar
but
the small green "flowers" are sticky.

It's called 'extra floral nectar' and can be collected by wasps which
don't
have long tongues because it's on the surface (as you've observed). Some
plants, notably laurel, have two littld holes towards the base of the
leaf
on the underside which exude this stuff.

Does that apply to the spotted laurel please Mary? I have one of those
but am not aware of wasp activity around it - unless the birds keep them
away as they use it as a perch when raiding the feeders.
Beryl

It does - your local wasps might be finding easier sources at the moment -
or they might not even want sugar. It's complicated. Later in the year they
might go to your laurel when you don't notice them.

Have a look under one of your leaves, the little holes are plain to see -
there are just two and at slightly different levels at each side of the main
vein, towards the base of the leaf.

Mary