Old 17-07-2007, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Food miles & Kenyan growers

On 17/7/07 09:31, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:54:11 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 16/7/07 22:13, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 20:16:12 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Barb" wrote in message
At risk of starting a vitriolic debate on this hugely fashionable and "in"
subject - I personally have just a tiny little, teen weeny, very small,
back-of-the-mind suspicion that part of the Global Warming thing is to
maintain the status quo and the economic/agricultural power of the
existing major world economies ....do "we" (in the "West") really want
Kenyan farmers climbing out of poverty and potentially turning their
economy around?

I wonder why Kenyans can't grow food for their own use.

Perhaps I'm naive ...

... you are.

Why not wonder why UK has to import cucumbers and lettuce etc. from Holland
&
Spain.

We don't have to do so. We choose to do so.

You choose to buy Dutch cucumbers? Normally it is because there is no other
option.

That's the point. You don't *have* to have cucumbers, you *choose* to have
cucumbers.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk