Old 17-07-2007, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Food miles & Kenyan growers

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message

Why not wonder why UK has to import cucumbers and lettuce etc. from
Holland &
Spain.
--

Exactly - why?

We don't HAVE to, the pseudomarkets want to 'give customers choice'. In
other words they want to sell more. We can resist :-)

Because we want to have them all year round instead of
eating the vegies in season like our parents did?

And some of us still do. I won't buy anything from abroad which can be grown
in this country, if that means that I don't have strawberries at Christmas
so be it. I do buy exotics which can't be grown here.

Better still - grow our own [not that I do with my tiny courtyard I have
to admit ] they certainly taste better.

They do, even cucumbers which I never thought had much flavour. Once I had
grown my own there was no lookiing back. We gorge on things in their season
and look forward to them the rest of the year. At the moment it's
raspberries, too many for us to eat although we do, every day, so the rest
are going in the freezer ready for jamming. We've had three meals of runner
beans and there will be lots more to come. I think we had the last of the
cabbage last night. This morning I was in the greenhouse tending the
tomatoes, they're still green but I can wait :-)

I just wish I had a bigger garden to grown more.

Mary