Old 17-07-2007, 03:13 PM
samantha samantha is offline
Registered User

Smile Will Trachelospermum jasminoides last the winter?

This this may seem like a naive question but I am asking you all to please bear with me as I am fairly new to the gardening scene!

We have just had a drive put in the front of our garden and we are situated on a large main road. It is completely open and we are also opposite a country pub. There is absolutely no privacy as our hedge in the front was torn down in confusion by the builders (sigh) and so we are desperate to seek a quick growing climber that we are hopefully going to grow over a hand made trellis structure wide enough to fit a car through.

My question is this. Up until yesterday, I thought I had found the perfect plant. 'Trachelospermum jasminoides'. I was seeking something evergreen (obviously for year round privacy) and the fact that the flowers smell absolutely wonderful is a bonus.

I have since been told that these are not fully hardy and need to be protected in the winter. Please forgive my ignorance but I am unsure how to do this. I would assume it would need cover as I do this with some of my garden plants but nothing on such a big scale. It would look silly to cover it as it would be the main focus of the front of the house. Am I being too cautious? Also, I was hoping to but 2 - 1 for each side of the trellis. If I bought 6ft established plants, would that give them more of a chance?

If this sounds like an unsuitable plant, does anyone have any suggestions please? A fast growing evergreen, preferably thick so no one can see through which will last year after year, not losing any of its density in the winter months? Any advice would be gratefully recieved as we are on public display at the moment!

Just a little bit more about where we are situated. We live in Buckinghamshire but lower down, in a little village called Iver, near Slough and Uxbridge.

I promise I am not being lazy, I have looked on the internet but the pictures are not always much help. I would love some experienced advice as it would be best to get it right first time.

Eagerly anticipating a reply!!

Samantha