View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Old 17-07-2007, 04:00 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha View Post
My question is this. Up until yesterday, I thought I had found the perfect plant. 'Trachelospermum jasminoides'. I was seeking something evergreen (obviously for year round privacy) and the fact that the flowers smell absolutely wonderful is a bonus.

I have since been told that these are not fully hardy and need to be protected in the winter. We live in Buckinghamshire but lower down, in a little village called Iver, near Slough and Uxbridge.
It will certainly survive where you are without protection. It doesn't grow very fast, but by buying large plants you may have solved that. And slow-growing means that in the long run it doesn't become a problem. It certainly retains an opaque winter covering. You need to be in a sheltered spot to get it to flower well - we are in a somewhat exposed spot in Little Chalfont, and my neighbour's one has never flowered in the 7 years I have lived there. But it has survived.

Ivy aside, there aren't very many reliably hardy, reliably evergreen climbers, although in Iver you probably have a sufficiently mild climate that you have a wider choice than people in cooler spots. Other things to consider are Akebia quinata (chocolate vine - the flowers are supposed to smell of chocolate), Clematis armandii (winter flowering and scented - large leaves so very opaque), Holboellas, and there are some evergreen honeysuckles (Lonicera). Rosa banksii makes a thick covering and is evergreen in mild spots.