Old 17-07-2007, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Aluckyguess Aluckyguess is offline

Default Freezing chiles

"Jon Shemitz" wrote in message
valvejob wrote:

I rinse the chiles pretty thoroughly in cold water in a colander, and
let them drain briefly before plopping them in a freezer bag,
squeezing out all the air I can, then sealing and freezing the bag.
Today, I froze a large bag with six varieties.

I've had good luck with just covering them with ice water after
blanching and then placing them in freezer bags with just enough water
to cover and surround them. That way I never get freezer burns and
you can just cook with the water as it melts.

But then you have to thaw the whole bag at once, right? By wetting
them before I freeze them, I get enough ice glaze to prevent freezer
burn, but the chiles stay separate and I can take out as many or as
few as I like.

I think I will try this.