Old 17-07-2007, 02:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JimR JimR is offline

Default Using plants to control algae

"Lar" wrote in message
valvejob wrote:

[snip]

My pond is roughly 300 gallons and I had a dozen or so of various potted
plants and was having a problem with the pea soup type algae until a
customer of mine gave me a trash bag of floating vegetation (Parrots
Feather) and within 10 days the water was totally clear and has stayed
that way for over a year now. There is string algae on the rocks and about
the sides but it's part of the water eco-system.

Lar

Parrots Feather is a good plant for keeping ponds clear. Fish will eat it,
perhaps in preference to lilies, plus it grows very fast. It will get a
little stringy unless it's in full sun. You'll have to harvest it every few
months to keep it from taking over.