Old 31-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Monte

Default How to make a soil test kit???

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in news:3e876bb6$0$5551
:

"Monte" wrote in message
I know you can buy the things, but I'm stubborn and curious.(and still
alive to tell about it) heh

What I am looking for is what reagents etc are used for the standard

tests
for NPK? hey, even I can use litmus so the Ph thing is whipped.

any help appreciated, seems all the 'experts' want to sell you their
personal kit or service.

Monte

Do you have a degree or equivalent in chemistry? This will be a very
long hard road if you don't.

Are you prepared to do hours (days) of research and then spend days
buying, measuring and testing laboratory reagents to work out a
practical test? Do you have the required equipment to weigh out,
measure and store this stuff? Do you expect this one-off to be cheaper
than a mass produced store-bought kit? If you want to try your hand
start with just the pH test which would be the simplest to set up but
even then I doubt that you will save time or money and come up with an
accurate and reprducible test.

Or were you expecting somebody who has the skills and the gear and the
time to work this out to just give away free recipe books on the
internet? This is possible but it does not seem probable to me. Go
ahead and google - I would love to be proved wrong as I could then use
the same material. I doubt that this will happen.

David

Well David old chap,
First off you best remove your head from your arss and get some oxygen.
You need it.
Yes, I have a couple of semesters of chem, long ago. Enough not to blow
myself up with kitchen chemicals.

Now to the problem I asked about. One you are a complete dolt and do not
even understand the question. there are relatively simple qualitative
indicator tests which are made for NPK sufficient for the average
gardener and even a farmer. You can buy these at almost any garden
center. THESE my troll-like friend are what I referred too exactly what
are the chemicals used. They do not list them exactly on the labels. At
least not the ones I've seen.

So go crawl back under the rocks and wait for a crippled 'roo to passby
so you can fill your gullet and leave gardening folk to tending the
better foodstuffs.

Monte