Old 17-07-2007, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default planting berries from a yew

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

"johngood ............." wrote in message
i read in newsgroup that you can propogate yew trees by 'layering' shoots
under the soil. the other day in a park i saw some red berries on a
yew. could i pick those and plant them? should i wait for them to drop
to the ground first? thanks.

I did that once. While walking around Chatsworth house park I noticed
some nice ripe yew berries within reach on a branch, so "confiscated"

Stole.

Mary

Yes, alright then :-( Though I doubt it qualifies as the crime of the
century.

I wonder how many gardeners nip off little bits of cuttings or seeds when
walking around parks?

My favourite "acquisition" was around 12 years ago. A few seeds from a ripe
split seed pod on a bronze phormium growing on a public tropical flower bed
in St Ives, Cornwall. Someone saw me getting the seeds and said "You'll
never get them to germinate" but he was wrong. There must have been 50 or
more seedlings come up. Unfortunately they all damped off with the exception
of two. One of those is now an 8 foot high monster at our old house. Lovely
looking plant.

David.