Old 17-07-2007, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Will Trachelospermum jasminoides last the winter?

In article ,
echinosum writes:

| Ivy aside, there aren't very many reliably hardy, reliably evergreen
| climbers, although in Iver you probably have a sufficiently mild
| climate that you have a wider choice than people in cooler spots. Other
| things to consider are Akebia quinata (chocolate vine - the flowers are
| supposed to smell of chocolate), Clematis armandii (winter flowering
| and scented - large leaves so very opaque), Holboellas, and there are
| some evergreen honeysuckles (Lonicera). Rosa banksii makes a thick
| covering and is evergreen in mild spots.

Akebia quinata and Lonicera japonica are reliably hardy, but not
reliably evergreen - they are deciduous with me in most winters.
I have never got my Holboellia to flower, as it is VERY sensitive
to cold weather in spring, but it seems pretty hardy. That is
Cambridge, incidentally.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.