Old 17-07-2007, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gill Matthews Gill Matthews is offline

Default Will Trachelospermum jasminoides last the winter?

In article , says...

This this may seem like a naive question but I am asking you all to
please bear with me as I am fairly new to the gardening scene!

We have just had a drive put in the front of our garden and we are
situated on a large main road. It is completely open and we are also
opposite a country pub. There is absolutely no privacy as our hedge in
the front was torn down in confusion by the builders (sigh) and so we
are desperate to seek a quick growing climber that we are hopefully
going to grow over a hand made trellis structure wide enough to fit a
car through.

My question is this. Up until yesterday, I thought I had found the
perfect plant. 'Trachelospermum jasminoides'. I was seeking something
evergreen (obviously for year round privacy) and the fact that the
flowers smell absolutely wonderful is a bonus.

I have since been told that these are not fully hardy and need to be
protected in the winter. Please forgive my ignorance but I am unsure
how to do this. I would assume it would need cover as I do this with
some of my garden plants but nothing on such a big scale. It would look
silly to cover it as it would be the main focus of the front of the
house. Am I being too cautious? Also, I was hoping to but 2 - 1 for
each side of the trellis. If I bought 6ft established plants, would
that give them more of a chance?

If this sounds like an unsuitable plant, does anyone have any
suggestions please? A fast growing evergreen, preferably thick so no
one can see through which will last year after year, not losing any of
its density in the winter months? Any advice would be gratefully
recieved as we are on public display at the moment!

Just a little bit more about where we are situated. We live in
Buckinghamshire but lower down, in a little village called Iver, near
Slough and Uxbridge.

I promise I am not being lazy, I have looked on the internet but the
pictures are not always much help. I would love some experienced advice
as it would be best to get it right first time.

Eagerly anticipating a reply!!

Samantha

Trachelospernum jasminoides is evergreen and may be hardy enough
for Bucks. it grows well enough for me in Berks and my mum in Essex.
The main problem is that it is very slow growing. I have a mixture of
passion flower and jasmine and find that although some of the leaves drop
the thick layer of intertwined stems makes quite a good barrier and they
are both quick growers

GillM