Old 17-07-2007, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Will Trachelospermum jasminoides last the winter?

On 17/7/07 15:13, in article , "samantha"
wrote:

This this may seem like a naive question but I am asking you all to
please bear with me as I am fairly new to the gardening scene!

We have just had a drive put in the front of our garden and we are
situated on a large main road. It is completely open and we are also
opposite a country pub. There is absolutely no privacy as our hedge in
the front was torn down in confusion by the builders (sigh) and so we
are desperate to seek a quick growing climber that we are hopefully
going to grow over a hand made trellis structure wide enough to fit a
car through.

My question is this. Up until yesterday, I thought I had found the
perfect plant. 'Trachelospermum jasminoides'. I was seeking something
evergreen (obviously for year round privacy) and the fact that the
flowers smell absolutely wonderful is a bonus.

snip

T. jasminoides is not a quick grower. In fact, it's fairly slow. This is
not going to romp up your trellis arch as quickly as you would like. My
suggestion to you would be to take a deep breath and don't panic. Plant a
hedge, e.g. yew, laurel or beech to replace the one ripped out by mistake.
In 3 years you'll be well screened - nothing truly desirable in gardening is
that fast, whatever the tv programmes suggest. Make sure the ground is well
prepared and choose the plants that will suit you best - plenty of people
here will help you.
As to your entrance trellis, must it take that form? Could you use e.g.
Lonicera nitida grown and trimmed as two very elegant pillars, or
Pittosporum which can be trained to be close clipped but arching over at the
top, naturally? IF they'll take your winters, both look magnificent grown
that way.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk