Old 18-07-2007, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Where have all the bees gone?

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message

Thank you for that extra information. No, I owuld not have discarded
the tubes or cleaned them out. The leaflet that came with the tube
informed me about the leaf or mud 'plugs' and said to move it to
somewhere to protect it from frost, but not warm, for the winter and put
it out again in April time.

Good. I'm sorry if I jumped in too swiftly but you might not have had the
information.

It has to have some occupants first though
as it has only been out for a short time, since when there have been
only very rare sitings of bees of any kind.

You possibly wouldn't even recognise mason bees. You'll know when it's been
turned into a nursery by the plugs on the outside of the tubes.

I hope it does get used
though I suspect it may be too late for this year.

I'm not sure - but in any case persist. If it's not used leave it for next
year - and the one after that - enticing solitary or bumble bees into
artificial nests isn't 100% successful but having bought your tube there's
no point in throwing it out. It MIGHT be used :-)

If you can't be bothered I'll take it off your hands G

Mary