Old 31-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Anne Lurie

Default lilac

It's been a while since I had any lilacs, but it's important to to prune
them shortly after they flower, lest you cut off next year's buds.

I used to "deadhead" my lilacs (way! up North) after they flowered, but I
stopped doing that because I kept totally losing my voice for a day or so
after working with the lilacs -- OTOH, I know any number of people who
would say that's a *good* result!

Here's a link to an article in "Fine Gardening" magazine (as mentioned by
Bobby Baxter in a subsequent post):
http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00017.asp but I'm not sure
whether this is the issue to which he referred.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Susan Gillispie" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone know about pruning lilacs? I have one that has just begun
blooming and it appears to be only on new wood. I have fewer blooms
this year than last, and I was wondering whether I need to cut it back
after it blooms.

Thanks!