Old 31-03-2003, 11:56 PM
KrisHur

Default Clematis Question

Probably "Sieboldia Superba". It's in the Viticella (sp?) family. If it is
this one expect it to get about 12' and is fairly thick. Light pruning at
the end of the year, just enough to create a main framework.

One plant would probably cover the space really well. You may want to dig
one up and find another home for it before they get started but you could
let them go this year and if they overwhelm the space, early next spring dig
one up and find another home for it.

--
Kristen
Zone 6, SE NY

"jammer" wrote in message

Great.....
Well, it flowers small purple flowers and said seiboldi? on the
package. I remember that much.

The trellises are about 2 ft across and 1 1/2 ft apart. I dug around
really deep and found some roots i couldn't get rid of from previous
bushes. So i have 2 plants approx. 3 ft. apart.
This will no doubt be another gardening "live and learn" as i have
never had these before. (obviously) BUT, that's half the fun!

I feel i have the gardening green light now and am amazingly slow at
doing things. I was champing at the bit for the last 2 months and now
i think i just don't want to do it all at once and have nothing to do.

I going out to water the tomato plants.

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:32:11 GMT, Pam wrote:

jammer wrote:

I have spent too much time looking for simple information!!

I can plant my clematis now in zone 7. I don't foresee any more
freezes. How far apart do they need to be? THANK YOU!

As Kris mentioned, it depends on the type of clematis you are growing.
Most species clematis can reach considerable size and one to a trellis
is sufficient (perhaps MORE than sufficient in some cases). Large
flowering hybrids are much less rampant in their growth and you can
plant two similar pruning types together. It is really important for you
to know and remember what type of clematis you have as pruning
requirements can differ considerably from vine to vine.

If you are more specific on the clematis type, I can be more specific on
planting requirements.

pam - gardengal

jammer