Old 01-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default Blushing old ladies and young maidens, with boxes of spring scattered about

The message
from "madgarder" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Thanks Mad. What's the latin name for your tulip trees?

one of the shrubby magnolia's.....................possibly a Magnolia x
soulangeana......not sure of the genus

Thanks, thought it might be from the colours you described. From our
house, we look across the bay to Brodick Castle which has a superb
woodland garden. At the moment, we can see all the magnolia campbelli in
their full glory, up to 50 ft high and smothered with huge blossom the
size of a plate; mostly pink but they have one white form which looks
like a beacon of light atm.

The gardens are open till dusk, and on Sunday we changed to British
Summertime so dusk is now an hour later. We were exhausted and filthy
from a day digging new drains, too tired to change out of the dire rags
we wear for dirty work, so I put a chcken in the oven to cook while we
snuck in muddy ripped clothes to visit the magnolias as evening fell.
Nobody else was around; the magnolias towered in shining glory against a
darkening blue sky and underfoot the ground was littered with the burst
furry covers of their flower buds, like a carpet of soft rabbits ears;
all the blackbirds were piping their evening song. What magic :-)

Janet.

Isle of Arran, Scotland.