Old 19-07-2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
zootal zootal is offline

Default small bees in ground

Mel M Kelly wrote:
If they are ground bees they are aggressive. Go out of a nite with a
light and put some Seven Dust around the hole. It will get them and nor
harm harmless honey bees. The ground bees don't come out at nite. I
tried everything that didn't work, then I tried the Seven Dust and
whamoo.

Ground bees = yellow jackets? What other kinds of bees make a nest in
the ground?

The only bees we have problems with here are the yellow jackets, and the
rare bald face hornets. I keep a couple of traps at the edges of my
yard, and we have not seen many this year (except for the BFH nest in my
apple tree, which I had to remove because of it's proximity to the
garden and girls swimming pool). We are, however, moderately infested
with paper wasps, honey bees, and bumble bees, and my daughers favorite,
the little hover bees (don't know what they are really called). All are
welcome in my garden.