Old 19-07-2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Water Conservation

On 7/19/2007 6:36 AM, John Bachman wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:46:57 +0100, billiebobuk
wrote:

Hi, I'm really concerned about water conservation. Does anyone know of
any good products to divert/harvest rain water???

Why the concern? Water is not something that we consume when we use
it. We just borrow it. Regardless of the useage, the water goes back
into the water table after we have used it. The only exception is
that portion which evaporates and that precipates back to earth.

There may be local water shortages but the earth's supply is nearly
limitless. There is more water on earth than any other commodity.
Most of it is salty but desalinization processes exist - ask Aruba.

John

Where I live, minerals in the soils render ground water unusable even
for agriculture, let alone drinking. Our water is imported from
northern California, hundreds of miles away.

The total precipitation and ground water (where useable) in the state is
already insufficient to meet the needs of people, industry, and
agriculture. The only thing that has prevented a crisis is the fact
that the reservoirs still have adequate supplies from record-breaking
rains two years ago (about 14,565,000 acre-feet in state reservoirs plus
additional amounts in recharged aquifers). If the current drought does
not end this winter, we will likely face rationing next summer.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean