Old 19-07-2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
San Diego Joe San Diego Joe is offline

Default Topping off the pond

"Chip" wrote:

We just use a hose and put de-clor. in at the same time. We top off about
once or twice a week depending on temps.

"Me" wrote in message

The water level in the bottom tier of the pond has dropped some with
the heat down here in the Southeast. I want to put some more in but
not sure of the best way.

I have a 1/2" "water leveler" that slowly, but automatically, puts in
city water to compensate for evaporation which is truly significant
(4-5" drop in water level/day) here in VERY hot sunny AZ. When I
finally convert the pool into a pond, how do I figure out how much to
de-clor and when? I certainly don't want to wait for symptoms from my
fish. Will slowly adding the city water to the large stabilized 18000
gal pond be an insignificant addition?

BTW, our city water is so hard and full of 'stuff" that it is just short
of toxic. The Lime-Away gets used a lot to clean off the scum. And I
developed kidney stones.

Chip

I've attached a meter to my hose end and figure the volume from that. When
you know the gallons you just add that much dechlor.

I disconnected my "auto fill" last year. It broke and I didn't realize it.
Fortunately, I have a large pond and the filler wasn't spraying water, just
a steady drip. Now I always do it by hand.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.