Old 19-07-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Water Conservation

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:46:57 +0100, billiebobuk
wrote:

Hi, I'm really concerned about water conservation. Does anyone know of
any good products to divert/harvest rain water???

Out here in western Oregon, metal roofs are popular with the rainwater
collection crowd. We will probably go that route when we build.
http://www.foodnotlawns.com/keyline_water.html
http://www.omick.net/water_use/water_use.htm
http://www.smartcommunities.ncat.org...on.shtml#water

As the climate in England is similar to that of western Oregon and
Washington, examples from those areas (e.g., Portland, Seattle) may
be of most use to you.

Another good and simple tool for water conservation is drip irrigation,
combined with mulch.

(And yes, even though water recycles nicely, taking care of subterranean
aquifers is important. Once they collapse, they don't recover.
If you'd like a painless introduction to aquifer collapse, try the
Sarah Andrews mystery "Dead Dry". Sarah is a geologist, as is her
protagonist. http://sarahandrews.net/index.htm )