Old 19-07-2007, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline Pennyaline is offline

Default Do I remove the containers?

sherwindu wrote:

Pennyaline wrote:

Persephone wrote:
You're talking, above, about damage to "very small plants and
seedlings". Maybe a failure to communicate? I was talking about
large, robust plants like bare-root roses (see above). They are,
in fact, full of "spaghetti-looking paper-ish stuff".

I can see why little containers might help with "tender plants',
so I guess we were looking at different sizes & types.

D'oh!

Why don't they recommend planting bare root roses with bare roots? It's
easy enough to do.

For plants as large as those, I'm with you. Take the degradable pot and
whatever material other than roots and soil is there out. Put what's
left into the ground.

I think you are better off retaining as much of the original soil as possible

when planting. Less chance of the roots being exposed to the air and drying
out.

Right, but bare root plants have little to no soil around them. And my
statement was to remove whatever material that is not roots and soil.
My experience with bare root plants is that they come with truly bare
roots and wrapped in plastic to prevent drying. They are soaked, then
planted. Anything that comes in soil is, to my mind, not bare rooted.

Also, for certain plants like Paw Paws, there are certain organisms
near
the plant roots supporting it's growth, so you don't want to remove those.

True for many plants, but they come in soil and not as bare root plants
in degradable containers.