Old 20-07-2007, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default sunflowers and squirrels

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 19, 5:17?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"rachael simpson" wrote in message

Sheldon wrote:
On Jul 18, 7:20?pm, Xoobee wrote:
I am...was...so very proud of my dwarf sunflowers this year.
I grew them from seed, and they ALL came up! All 40 of them!
Happy little sunflower faces...sigh....
Now there are none.
I found 'evidence' along the top of the wooden fence that surrounds
the yard, leading me to believe it was a nasty SQRL!

Evidence? What evidence do squirrels leave on a fence; paw prints,
DNA? I seriously doubt squirrels got your sunflowers, not if the
entire flower head is gone. And btw, because of their configuration
and how they grow sunflower seeds are essentially bird and squirrel
proof. I've watched squirrels and blue jays have conniptions trying
to find a way to get to my sunflowers, can't be done. I'd suggest
thinking about raccoons, they can easily scale most any fence and
they'd have no problem ripping off the entire flower heads and
carrying them off.

well your blue jays may have problems with it, but the turtle doves
here
love the sunflowers...........they scatter quite a few seeds, but they
get
the job done!

Same with the cardinals here

I don't believe yoose... unless what yoose call sunflowers ain't. No
bird on the planet can scavange a real sunflower while it's still on
the plant... just not a possibility. The sunflower head grows upside
down, and has a natural barrior all around the circumference that no
bird or squirrel can penetrate. I've been growing sunflowers for nigh
on 50 years, no bird or squirrel has ever gotten to my sunflower seeds
until I whack off the flower and allow them access.

I don't know what kind of wussy pansies yoose grow but these are
sunflowers:

http://i19.tinypic.com/4losnxj.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/6fqklmu.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/4tsxam8.jpg

Whatever you say, Sheldon. My 7 foot tall sunflowers, grown from a packet of
seeds labeled "sunflowers", are not really sunflowers. And, the birds which
look look just like all other cardinals are actually cockatiels.