Old 20-07-2007, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Thuja problem

JackpipE wrote:

I'm in NJ and the soil is sandy in my area. I also added Miracle-Gro
Potting Mix with Fertilizer 1/2 bag per plant.
They were all in pots and they didn't store them well. I don't think
if they were close to any road way before I got them. What I do know
if that about 2 weeks after I purchased my thuja all thujas (about
6-8) at my Lowes were dead - brown and dry.
I worry because I don't see them getting any better. We did have few
heavy rains here in NJ and I if the watering would be an issue I would
notice something after 2 days of raining. I'm gonna get Ortho 1 Pt.
Systemic Insect Killer from Lowes and see if that helps.
I do have 1 year warranty on them but it took me a week to plant them
all. I don't want to do it over again.

As I mentioned in a previous post, trees in pots are generally safer.
However,
these trees could still have been dug improperly out of the ground and placed

into pots with too few roots. I have been reading where nurseries are going
over to raising trees in pots. The challenge there is to move the trees to
bigger
pots, if they outgrow their current pots.

Sherwin