Old 01-04-2003, 01:56 AM
spampot

Default Help identifying.......

VoySager wrote:
spampot wrote:

Paulownia blossoms occur in clusters, rather like chestnut "candles,"
though; not the blooms along the branches before leafing out. I'm sure
it's a redbud (cercis canadensis).

Yep, good call, I like your analysis better than my guess...

Is redbud a prolific self-sower? I'm not aware that it is here in
near-coastal PA.

Bill

Well, mine came from my grandmother's garden in central Illinois (I'm in
Maryland), and hers always had lots of seedlings growing up around it.
OTOH, hers was huge, probably the biggest redbud I've ever seen in my
life (it's at least 70 years old), so it had a lot of seed-cases to
drop. Mine, and those of my siblings who have them, haven't done any
seeding yet, but the tallest is under six feet.