Old 20-07-2007, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default cucumber beetle infestation - what to do?

In article ,
"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete
the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote:

"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete
the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote:

Check into "neem". It's been getting popular in the organic gardening
world for a few years now. Comes from an Indian tree. Apparently,
people in India just take it as a tonic, also. Anyway, there are a lot
of neem preparations around these days. i even saw some in Home Depot.

I have so many bugs now, mostly beneficial, I'm hesitant to do anything.
My
garden has turned into a forest, and the cucumber beetles can't hurt it
any.
I'm concerned that they will breed most prolifically - I need something
that
kills them and not the other bugs. My daughters would never forgive me
for
killing so much as one ladybug.

Fingers work just a small squeeze. Consider ant lions

http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il...s/antlion.html

We have them about but I have no idea if you can purchase these monsters.

Bill

I've been pinching them when I see them, and I may have to be satisfied with
that, as I don't want to sterilize the garden. I think our soil is too wet
for ant lions. We had them everywhere in Vegas, and we used to enjoy feeding
ants to them, but I've never seen them around here.

You don't want ethnic cleansing, you want diversity.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/