Old 20-07-2007, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default Azalea chlorotic

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:53:55 -0400, Stephen Henning
wrote:

Persephone wrote:

The soil in this area is adobe (basic), but the people before me
mulched regularly, as have I, so I suspectthat over many decades of
modification the PH has become either acidic, or at least neutral. I
should have it tested some time just out of curiousity, though I don't
usually have problems like this.

Neutral won't work. It must be acidic. A pH of 5 to 6.5 is necessary.

I already have some Miracle-Gro; it probably won't kill the plant
to get a moderate application.

Miracle-Gro does more harm than good. It is a soluble nitrogen
fertilizer. Your plant is stressed and feeding it nitrogen is not a
wise move. The iron and sulfur are the right approach. Usually in
alkaline soil such as yours the only easy way to grow azaleas is in a
raised bed.

What about a large pot where soil can be modified?

Then the alkalinity of the surrounding soil doesn't affect
the azaleas. The raised bed only needs to be 8" to 12" high. Then use
a good acidic garden soil. If you want to raise acid loving plants like
azaleas, you will have to meet them half way by providing acidic soil.

OK, suggestions assimilated.

I have had azaleas in that large pot on the E. side of the house
before; they bloomed magnificently, but it's true they only produced
for about 3-4 seasons.

I'll get some sulfur and see if it will work with the previously
applied iron.

Persephone