Old 20-07-2007, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default peas, beans, cukes, peppers, & squash

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Jan Flora expounded:

A side note: if you ever kill a porkie or find a dead
one on the road, throw an old towel or something on it,
so the quills will stick to the towel. Then give the
quills to your Indian girlfriends. They make earrings
and stuff with the quills. (I wear beaded quill earrings
for "go to meeting" jewelry.)

Wow, never knew that. There's plenty of them on the side of the road
up in Maine, I wish I knew someone who could use them

Oh boy, just did a search on qullwork. Here's a good link for info:

http://www.native-languages.org/quillwork.htm

Here's a step by step:

http://www.nativetech.org/quill/index.php

There's so much left in the world for me to learn!

Gee, those are great websites, Ann!

I save quills for a couple of Lakota Sioux girlfriends,
and buy bead & quill earrings from them.

I wonder if you could sell quills on ebay...

Porcupines eat trees (okay, the bark), so we try
to keep them pushed out of here. I've got fruit trees.

My SO's saddle horse got some quills in his nose once.
You could tell that it was a "curiosity sniff" that got
the quills stuck in his muzzle. Ruger stood there very
quietly and let us pull the quills. We were amazed,
because the horse is normally pretty froggy.

Gotta go. We're planting another 1/2 acre of peonies
today.

Jan