Old 01-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Anna Merchant

Default Transpiration of water

That sounds about right considering how fast my setup loses water. It must
be a small setup compared to some, but the tank holds about 50 odd litres I
would assume, and every week I top it up with a watering can full. So that'd
be, geez, bout 10L maybe. My tank / setup isnt enclosed, so it does get
filled with rain water. Just means I have to check my CF more often.

--
Anna Merchant

http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz
If electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from
morons?
"Repeating Decimal" wrote in message
On Saturday afternoon, I replaced nutrient for my hydroponic garden. I am
growing tomatoes, sugar snap peas and wax beans. By Monday morning I had

add a lot of water.

I have two reservoirs, One containing about 16 gallons and the other about
20 gallons. They are covered with corrugated vinyl plastic but not sealed.
This morning I had to add at least 5 gallons to the small one and a bit

less
with the larger one. Each reservoir is supplying six Dutch pots. I

circulate
for half an hour every three hours during the day and less at night. The

pot
is filled with fired clay pellets and coconut fiber. The top. under the
pellets is moist.

It has been warm here with temperatures inside the greenhouse reaching 100
degrees F or even a bit more. When it gets that hot, I run a swamp cooler.
Even so, is this much water loss reasonable? Should I circulate less?

Should
I push the injectors farther down to reduce moisture on the surface.

When I measure the conductivity of the nutrient, it is about double that

of
the water itself. We have a lot of minerals in our water.

Any insight or discussion will be appreciated.

Bill