Old 21-07-2007, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default keeping a corylus in check

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

My guess is fairly small. Hazels are natural shrubs, and seem to
respond well to pruning, so I would guess that you could keep it
down to 6-8' without trouble. You can do that to yew, holly and
beech, after all, all of which grow much bigger than hazel. 2-3'
might be possible, but seems a little small.

Oh I wouldn't mind 6 foot. That's fine, I had intended to see if there
was any way it could make a standard but I feel they throw too many
suckers for that. So a shrub at 6 foot might be good for a background
for some paler plants.
Thanks Nick.
--
Janet Tweedy