Old 21-07-2007, 05:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default Jalapeno Conspiracy

In article ,
Mark Anderson wrote:

In article says...
Is there such a thing as an heirlooom pepper seed exchange? Like for
tomatoes?

There are lots of places that sell seeds. I bought from this place
earlier in the year:

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/

and they were dependable and had a good selection. Hot peppers are one
of the hardest seeds to start and they take forever to get to a healthy
seedling that can be put out. The hottest pepper to grow easily are
Caribbean red habeneros. Although I did get some hot pepper seedlings
started from seed, my local nursery had lots of red hab seedlings and I
loaded up on them for the garden this year. It's a lot easier just
buying the seedling and be done with it.

Jalapenos never were hot IMHO. They're usually listed around 3000
Skoville Units whereas red and yellow habs run up to 300,000 Skoville
units. Even chili peppers for hot dogs are an order of magnitude hotter
than jalapenos. I gave up growing jalapenos years ago. Habs produce
more per plant and you can make a salsa with them that will make
everyone who eats it run to the bathroom to clear their bowels. It's
nothing but fun when habenero harvest time comes which should be in a
couple of weeks here.

I took a habanero in to work last year. One of the guys said he loved
habaneros and popped one down. Three minutes later he was in the
employee lounge barfing it up. A good habanero deserves respect. My
ja-lap-pin-nos are alive and well. Set me back on my heels this
afternoon.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/