Old 01-04-2003, 03:44 AM
MeMyselfAndI

Default Ladybugs for Mealie control

Thanks for the link, that looks like a fun site - I'll check it out. I
sprinkle venus fly traps in amongst my orchids. They like the same
conditions (humid). I don't think the fly traps consume an awful lot,
but they sure seem happy.

Aaron Hicks wrote:
Don't know if ladybugs will eat fungus gnats (sorry), but I
purchased a Drosera dichotoma 'Giant' from California Carnivores
(http://www.californiacarnivores.com/) for $15. VERY easy to grow- sit it
in a bowl of clean water (distilled or reverse osmosis- no salts, no
fertilizer, please), give it as much light as you reasonably can, keep the
humidity up, and watch it grow.

This plant should be sold as a control for fungus gnats. I
originally purchased it for whitefly control in a research greenhouse, but
the whitefly were on their way out thanks to Marathon, so I just sat it on
a bench in a pan of water. WOW. A fungus gnat magnet, that species. One
grower reports that he used it to get rid of whitefly by shaking the
afflicted plant, and then waving the drosera around so it would pick up
the whitefly in mid-air. I can believe it.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Sorry. E-mail address in the header won't work.