Old 21-07-2007, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kent roadside ID?

In message , Les Hemmings
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Les Hemmings
writes

There's a big blousy yellow flowered plant appearing on the verges
here in Kent. Large, beautiful cup shaped flowers on a spire. Three
inches across and as much deep... a bit like evening primrose.

Not the worlds best description... any ideas though?

Les

A different evening primrose? That doesn't sound like a bad
description of Oenothera biennis and the like.

Thanks Stewart! Now, how did that arrive here?

They self-seed readily enough; I've had them in my garden for years.
Stace has 5 species naturalised in the British Isles, of which Oenothera
glazioviana is both the commonest and the largest flowered.

They really are splendid and being a delivery driver i see lots of them in
the verges... They really brighten up the place )

Les

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley