Old 01-04-2003, 04:32 AM
paghat

Default Clematis Question

In article , Pam wrote:

KrisHur wrote:

Probably "Sieboldia Superba". It's in the Viticella (sp?) family. If it is
this one expect it to get about 12' and is fairly thick. Light pruning at
the end of the year, just enough to create a main framework.

One plant would probably cover the space really well. You may want to dig
one up and find another home for it before they get started but you could
let them go this year and if they overwhelm the space, early next spring dig
one up and find another home for it.

Kris, are you sure of this name? I am unfamiliar with a clematis cultivar of
this name (like I would know them all, anyway......lol). What comes to

mind for
me is 'Hybrida Sieboldii" (also known as 'Ramona') or C. florida 'Sieboldii'.
Ramona has dark purple flowers and 'Sieboldii" has white flowers with dark
purple stamens. Both would work well on the size trellis the OP mentions, but
Sieboldii is a little trickier to grow. Not exactly the clematis of

choice for a
newbie.

pam - gardengal

"Ramona" "Sieboldii" "Sieboldia Superba" & "Hybrida Sieboldii" are all the
same cultivar. It is indeed categorized as a "Viticella Group" clematis
even while listed as a cultivar of C. florida. I presume the "hybrida"
means it is partly C. viticella. But I've frequently found certain
cultivars on "lists" categorized by this or that "group" even though the
immediate generation of hybridization wouldn't suggest the particular
group to me. Contractory hybrid histories seem to abound among clematis
commentaries & discriptions -- whether from often repeated errors, or
because they really are very mixed up crosses of crosses of crosses.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"