Old 01-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Jane

Default What do you do ...

Hi there, Ol',
I used to dry them sometimes. I used to use special silica/sand type drying
stuff which I bought at craft stores. It was amazing how prefectly the roses
dried, without shriveling, but with slightly muted colours. Can't recall the
brand but I'm sure they still have it around. I know the freeze dried ones
are amazing but I believe special equipment is needed for that.
I liked making homemade papers using them individually imbedded in random
spots. I also like trying to make my own rose water, but it takes the
freshest first morning picked roses, distilled water and patience. I use
rose water in cooking and as a cosmetic treat.
I realized at some point that i could grind up rose petals and smear them
onto my face as a mask...sounds strange, feels great...and then, i decided
to use muslin bags filled with rose petals and lavender and assorted other
herbal thingies, tie them up and make bath tub tea...for a skin smoothing
soak.
I ised to also freeze rose petals individually in ice cube trays...so summer
drinks would be exciting...and sometimes for parties I freeze and entire
"bowl of roses" by taking a big plactic bowl, half filling it with distilled
water and sprays of roses tied into a ring, then taping another bowl into
the center and putting it all into the big freezer for a couple of days. I
serve pink lemonade or raspberry green tea from it during froo froo parties.
Last fall I made some rose petal jam which thanks to lovely people in this
group and planty of great information, I am pleased to say was beautiful and
delicious!

Jane

"Ol' Thornfinger" wrote in message
....with your rose petals? I just can't stand throwing them out. I usually
just throw them in a basket for a few days or float them in a bowl or
something. What's the best way to dry them without them turning ookie

colors
and losing their smell completely? Any good links to this kind of thing?
Also, is there a FAQ for this group?

First time poster, long time rose grower.