Old 22-07-2007, 01:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Succumb to netting

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 14:43:44 CST, Gill Passman
wrote:

We don't have the option of getting rid of the trees as they are on
council owned property (allotments) and even a request from a number of
neighbours to have them topped has gone unheeded. If the tree is on your
property which IIRC you have told me it is, then unless you are
especially attached to it as a tree, I would get rid of it.....

That is the plan, that's why it be girdled. DH took a chainsaw and removed
the bark in a band around the perimeter so it can't get water up, nor
nutrients down to the roots. This stops suckering. But big trees apparently
store LOTS of water.

It was suppose to be taken down before it leafed out, but DH didn't get to
it. So now I'm just waiting, either he'll get to it, or I'll win the lotto
and hire someone.

During winter I always used boards and window screening on the ponds, and
still will, but once this tree is down, it will cut our fall work more than
half. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us