Old 22-07-2007, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default Azalea chlorotic

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 07:14:31 -0500, jangchub
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:20:35 -0700, Persephone wrote:

I have had azaleas in that large pot on the E. side of the house
before; they bloomed magnificently, but it's true they only produced
for about 3-4 seasons.

I'll get some sulfur and see if it will work with the previously
applied iron.

Persephone

Where do you live, Persephone, I forget. If it is in a place with
very hot summers it will be extremely difficult keeping azalea's
healthy unless you have naturally occurring acidic soil.

I live in Santa Monica CA, near the beach. It's always 10-20 degrees
cooler than inland. We don't have hot summers. Ours is a near-ideal
Mediterranean climate -- never too hot, never too cold. ('cept we're
in our 2nd year of drought; had only 1 decent rain all last winter,
plus a few chicken-shit showers). So -- lots of irrigating, or switch
to xeriscapic which I'm considering.

In Dallas there is a strip of very acidic soil running through the
center of town in the city. They have huge azaleas there which are
healthy, vibrant and huge. They thrive through the heat because the
soil is naturally acidic.

Just some added info to what Stephen already told you.

OK, I got some sulfur today - was going to email him to see if it
was the right kind, but Stephen, I hope you're seeing this?
Product is called "Sulfur Dust", by Lilly Miller. 90% sulfur, 10%
inert ingredients.

What's confusing to me is that it's sold as a fungicide/insecticide.
"For use on roses, grapes, citrus fruits, berries,nuts, vegetables,
flowers, shrubs, trees. Controls powdery mildew, rust, scab, mites."

Doesn't say anything about acidifying the soil. Only mention of
flowers is dusting or spraying foliage.

They said I could return it if it wasn't the right thing.

So -- can I in fact mix this with the soil of the azalea?

Or spray its foliage?

If this is the wrong product, could you describe the right one?

I know many on this NG are hostile to Miracle-Gro-type products, but
they do make an acid fertilizer which I've never used. Is this
something to consider?

TIA to all

Persephne.