Old 22-07-2007, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NumboJumbo[_2_] NumboJumbo[_2_] is offline

Default Donating seeds to charity

On 21 Jul, 22:30, La Puce wrote:
On 21 Jul, 21:08, NumboJumbo wrote:

On 21 Jul, 09:38, "JennyC" wrote:

"NumboJumbo" wrote in message

roups.com...

Hi
I'm looking to donate some flower and vegetable seeds to charities,
for possible use in Africa or wherever these seeds go to once they're
given to charity.

Anybody know of such a charity which accepts seeds to give to other
people, particularly 3rd world countries.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Nice idea, but most organisations seem to prefer money instead of seeds....
they can then buy in bulk.

But I did find this one:http://www.kokopelli-seed-foundation...donations.html

HTH Jenny

Hi Jenny
I did actually come across this site before I posted my message in
this group and just couldn't figure out what they really wanted. Their
Seeds for Life programme, imo, isn't outlined very well to receive
such donations. and having read it again a bit more thoroghly, I'm
still none the wiser.

Now, I did come across this websitehttp://wintersown.org/wseo1/Seed_Donations.html
which seems to be exactly what I was looking for, but it's in America.
I was really looking for something closer to home, so I'm hoping that
someone may know of some organsiation out there that fits the bill.
BTW, I have looked on the net and I just simply can't find anything in
good ol' (very wet) Blighty.

Hi Mike. I saw your post in money.saving.expert.com. I see that you've
specified to donate the seeds in Africa or third world countries which
is not very easy. Usually they prefer money. What I would suggest is
that you find a local allotment assoc. or community garden projects
and donate your seeds there. I know many places around where I live,
Manchester, where they are really happy to get donations. There's been
lots of site like 'free to grow' which started early this year and
'free cycle' which are about recycling and where seed donations are
also very welcome. Where do you live?- Hide quoted text -

Well, judging by what has been said above and from what I have found
out subsequent to my post here, it seems that the route I should be
going down is to either donate money to organisations that help 3rd
world people or to check out local gardening groups. I'm into
recycling and being green and I really wouldn't mind someone else
using the seeds, so I'm off to the Allotments Forum to see what I can
dig up http://www.allotments-uk.com/forum/