Old 22-07-2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner[_2_] William Wagner[_2_] is offline

Default Safe Mulch for Area with Artillery Fungus

In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

Jenny

OK, let me get honest. In 1991, out of the ignorance of tree biology, I was
removing turf and applying fresh chips. By removing the turf roots, I was
also removing the trees non-woody absorbing roots. Turf roots grow deeper
than tree non-woody roots. Then I was applying fresh chips. Just trim the
tree and place the chips back around the tree. Great idea, right? NOT!
I was then in a formal tree biology workshop when one of the most renown
mycologist worldwide pulled me aside and said "NOT FRESH CHIPS"! I then
stopped and began searching compost piles for chips at least "one year" old.
Sadly enough one of my 1991 fresh chips and turf removing jobs was at my
parents house (J. Maple). The tree today is in a state of decline and I
believe I am the one at fought.

Fresh chips have living parenchyma cells which contain protoplasm. When we
chip a branch with a symplast we smear the protoplasm all over the place.
This attracts undesirables which can and do, do nasty things to trees below
as well as above ground. That is why I do not use fresh chips. Be believe
they can incite a disease. A disease is of the living. A disease is a
process that decreases the order and energy of a living system to the point
of strain. A disease is an abnormal physiological process that causes
injury or death. Strain is not reversible, stress is. You take a slinky and
stretch it out and it returns to its original shape (STRESS). Now you pull
that slinky so far it does not return to its original shape (STRAIN).

Oh, well, I was one of those landscapers digging out tree roots and applying
fresh chips in 1991. Not any more.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

How we use wood chip are similar. New piles are given a year to rest.
These are then placed on our walking paths. We apply energy to the
paths by walking on them. Then when black and rich we dig out and
spread about then redo the cycle which takes about 3 years. We like
pine chips I guess because most here are oak.

Upside lots of worms but also lots of moles and voles.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade