Old 22-07-2007, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Encouraging Oak suckers...?

In article ,
Kenneth writes:

| I have to cut a modest size oak (about 6" caliper) and could
| cut it at various heights.
|
| I would like to encourage its re-growth more "bush-like"
| than "tree-like."
|
| Am I more likely to get such growth if it is cut closer to
| the ground level, or leaving some of its trunk?

Dunno. Either should work, but the success will depend more on
whether it was a wild strain, of the sort that regrows well, or one
bred for timber, which may not. I don't know how old an oak can
be before it is coppiced for the first time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.