Old 22-07-2007, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default Jalapeno Conspiracy

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
Jack Schmidling wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:

My understanding is that taste buds do lose their sensitivity with
aging
which explains why sometimes geezers some times like really funky
foods.
That would be easy to test. According to that hypothesis, if I find a
hot one, younger folks should find it very hot. I can't tell the
difference between my rejects and bell peppers. My wife is 12 years
younger and agrees on all of our tasting judgments heat.

js
A mild ja-lap-pin-no? That's criminal. Mine gave me hiccups, a runny
nose and, beads of sweat on my forehead, just like they are supposed to.
that sounds like a *nice* jalapeno.....if they done me like that, I'd
still eat them. Sorry, billy, i have to agree with Jack on this one.
Jalapeno's haven't tasted hot to me in years. i can eat them like
pickles. never a tear, never a runny nose. there ain't no fun in eating
a hot pepper that ain't *HOT*. must be something different between here
and there.

To be on the safe side, I'm hedging my bet with an habanero.

yeah, they are *good* too! what ya think of cow-horns? my sis has grown
some this year that can rival a good cayenne or habanero. cow-horn
doesn't usually bother me, but these have been hot, bout like you
describe you jalapenos...they made my uncle run tears...

Cow horns??? I got me "Corno di Toro" (Bull's Horns) but they are
supposed to be sweet, as are the Giant Aconcagua, Yellow Wax,
Friggitello, Szgedi , and of course the Cal Wonder. Then I have nine
ja-lap-pin-nos and a habanero. Just trying to figure out what I like and
where it grows best. Doing the same with the tomatoes: Striped German,
Mortgage Lifter, Brandywine, Rose, San Marzano Redorta (late season),
Carmello, Green Zebra (mid-season), Peche de Jaune, Marmande, and
Stupice (early season). One each planted in two different locations
(early Sun vs. afternoon Sun) on the hillside. Then there are a few
volunteers, Juliets, I think.

My sugar baby watermelon miraculously turned into a crook neck squash,
so now I'm watching the crook neck squash to see what it does. Cucumbers
have finally flowered. The "dent" corn is still a month away but it is
spectacular to look at. The golden Bantam, and the Sunshine must be
close. Ja-lap-pin-nos are are a little small but ready. The string beans
have been crankin', 2 -3 meals a week and I'm gettin' into sync with
them, knowing when to pick. Lettuce is 4 - 5 meals/week. Bitter melon
are developing. The zuch probably not getting enough Sun, no flowers et
but getting bigger. Couple of handfuls of blue berries (I'm working on
dropping the pH of the soil.) and I'm hoping the newly planted
strawberries will star producing soon. The basil is doing well, will be
more than ready when the tomatoes are ripe. In a lull with the cilantro.
It usually seeds itself but I may need to germinate it. Last years
echinacea plant must have 16 blossoms on it, not all colored in yet
though. Medicinals are coming along slowly but they are perennials so
if I have to wait for next year, that's OK. The freakin "bird house"
gourd is out of its'. It would take the entire trellis if I let it. I'm
having to whack it back some to leave room for a zucchette (Tromba
d'Albenga), which is recovering from being pulled up and the jiaogulan
(sort of a viney ginseng) which is being timid but just got a side
dressing of steer manure.

But mild ja-lap-pin-nos. It's just not right. Mine seem to be just
right. Any hotter and I'd have to cut them with somethin' and I really
like the flavor when they are roasted. The cayenne and your cow-horns
have thick or thin skin? If I just wanted heat, I'd only grow habaneros.

Now I'm going to go risk my neck hanging a pot from one of the oaks. You
know, the extension ladder and uneven ground thing. Oy.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/