Old 22-07-2007, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner[_2_] William Wagner[_2_] is offline

Default Using Fruit Drunken

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 7/22/2007 11:00 AM, William Wagner wrote:
Thought of Bill & Charlie.

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Drunken%20fruit

We do this with Peaches and Strawberries. Makes a great gift .

Bill who wonders if jalapeno peppers would work?

Using only ripe peaches from my own tree, I blanch the peaches to peal
them. I then quarter the peaches and place them in an old-fashioned
canning jar (the kind with a wire bail, glass lid, and rubber sealing
ring) with cloves, sugar, and cheap brandy. I let the jar stand for 6
months, turning it upside-down once a month and then right-side up the
next month.

I had a neighbor who did the same with plums and vodka and with apricots
and rum (but without any spices).

You have to be sure to fill the jar to the top with the liquor.
Otherwise the fruit floats and is exposed to the air space at the top.
The exposed fruit discolors and developes an unsatisfactory texture
(although it remains safe to eat). Even with the liquor to the top,
there will still be an unavoidable small air space, which is why I turn
the jars monthly.

Sound advice! We got some old jars circa 1930 ish which I sometimes
regret giving away but the gift must pass on as some Indian tribe in
South Alaska used to advocate. Blue green and metal clips and rubber.
We used too pour hot wax on some things most likely high in sugar.
Seems not much will eat sugar except us humans.

Bill

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade