Old 23-07-2007, 05:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Azalea chlorotic

mleblanca

Oh you're welcome. Did you get any of that rain storm Wed?
Chico got .27 inch. Didn't do much, except for giving the
peaches a fungal outbreak. We were camping in the mts. and
it rained off and on for 12 hours. Cold----60 degrees-brrr
Emilie
NorCal

What you mean you went camping in the mountains? You live in the
mountains or do you mean the Sierra Nevadas,

Well, no to both. Chico is not UP in the mountains, we do have
mountains
on three sides of us, but we are in the N. Sacramento Valley, and it
is
flat. flat, here. And no we didn't go to the Sierra Nevada, we went to
the
Cascades. The Sierra is granitic and ends about at the
Canyon of the N. Fork of the Feather River. And that is where the
Cascade
Range "begins". Cascades are volcanic.Basalt and lava tube caves and
springs.

Maybe up to Shasta or
over to Lassen or out to Weaverville and Claire-Engle Lake (the Pomos
call it the boonies)? Camping under the stars, with just you, the wind,
and the brown bears. Fun stuff. Lassen is really nice for spring wild
flowers and the are some granite ponds north of Weaverville to die for
on an Aug. afternoon.

So we went up south of Lassen National Park to the headwaters of the
N. Fork Feather R. at Domingo Springs. A special spring that flows
all year, with lovely, drinkable spring water! bout a half mile from
the
Pacific Crest Trail. Yes there were wildflowers and falls and creeks
and bears, too. Found a nice bear poop up in the rocks above the
campground. Just us and the bears, chickarees, and many, many,
birds. Elev 5060'
( (Lassen 'spring' wildflowers usually bloom in mid July. One
year it was the end of August, and there were spring and summer
and fall flowers all together at the same time.)

Your climate is more continental than ours. Sounds like you get an
earlier start and finish, than we do here by the coast.

This July rain was rather unusual, mostly we have no rain from end of
May until Almond harvest. It seems to rain quite often just as soon
as the trees have been 'shook'. Mid Sept? Usually no frost until
Dec. About 25 inches rain is average.We had 20 degrees last winter,
first time in several years.
The 60 deg. was unusual too, it has been in the 90s in the valley,
high 80s in mts

You havin' any water problems at the north end of the valley?

Not yet. The reservoirs were quite full from the 2005-6 winter rains
of 43 inches. They are getting low now. Below average rain last winter
Especially Oroville.
However if, no, not if, WHEN all of this development is built and
the population grows, it WILL be a problem

So where did you go camping? Long answer to a short question.....
--

Got to go I am missing Miss Marple!!!!
Emilie