Old 23-07-2007, 06:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
John Crichton John Crichton is offline

Default Problem with Fescue

Peter Pan wrote:
"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
[Top-posting fixed]

Peter Pan said:

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
. ..
I have a lawn with tall fescue grass. Basically I don't have too many
problems with my yard until about mid summer. Every year I notice that
after the summer's first real heat /humidity wave, some of the lawn,
instead of being nice and tall and thin, becomes more spread out and fat.
Is this normal or do I need to do something to my yard? (New Jersey)

Here are some pics of what I was talking about
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...119/grass1.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...119/Grass2.jpg

1. Your fescue needs water, badly.
2. You have a nutsedge problem.
3. The "spread out and fat" grass isn't fescue. It's crabgrass (and from
the looks of it, both large and smooth varieties).

So more watering will help?
What is nutsedge and what Do I need to do about it.
Just days before my OP, the yard looked fine, how can it be crab grass

Never the less, you have posted a picture of crabgrass. It can grow
pretty fast. Perhaps you just missed it. For the nutsedge you can use
a product called Sledgehammer (used to be called Manage). If you have a
Lesco store locally you can buy it there, otherwise any real garden/seed
store (not Home Depot or Walmart) should carry it.