Old 23-07-2007, 07:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default The cat problem

"Terryc" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

And how could I possibly know that? It's a feral, and like all ferals it
takes off like a rocket at the first sight of a human heaving into view.
That is why it's still alive and not dead and buried. I love birds but
the Currawongs do more damage to the bird population that it seems this
cat has done.

You will not know how much damage the cat has done until it disappears and
the years roll bye. OTOH, currawongs do have a natural impact.

Yep. They certainly do but that "natural impact" is huge.

We went away for a few days and when we got back we noticed that huge
numbers of little birds had disapearred. My SO commented that a cat must
have been in the garden. Over the next few days I noticed that the
Currawongswere very active and gamer than when we are always around (we make
them disappear be going outside with a gun in our hands) and that it was
probably them that had done the damage. SO agreed as there is always a
sighting of a feral and the only thing to be seen was the Currawongs. I
hate the blasted things as they are such enormous predators of small birds.
We have a huge amount of understorey just to try to protect the small birds
but Currawongs can be spotted up in the trees just watching where the little
birds go. Filthy brutes. Give me a feral cat any day.