View Single Post
  #6   Report Post  
Old 23-07-2007, 10:59 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngood ............. View Post
"Any idea where might i get detailed information on what type of bamboo i could use for *non-invasive* hedging, since i do like bamboo.

Why do you advise against coniferous hedge ?
Bamboo comes into two types, pachymorphic ("clumping") and leptomorphic ("running"). The pachymorphic types stay put in a location, whereas the leptomorphic run off. Most hardy bamboos are leptomorphic. The hardy pachymorphic bamboos are mostly:
Fargesia spp (as mentioned above)
Thamnocalamus spp
Borinda spp (though some Borindas are rather big bamboos, ie the clump may be quite large)
and in very mild areas there are one or two more you can grow.

Many bamboo sellers will describe other bamboos as "clumping" on the basis that they don't run very much in usual British conditions. This is really a bit dishonest.

Because Fargesia nitida has been flowering recently (and the old generation of plants has largely died off in consequence) a lot of new seed-grown stock is available, and you can now get it really rather cheaply. F murieliae flowers a few years before, so they are quite reasonable too. Although, as said above, some Fargesias are rather lax, especially F murieliae, many of the F nitida plants I have seen are not. Before the flowering, F nitida was the most commonly grown garden bamboo, for very good reason. There is quite a variety of other species and forms of Fargesia, different heights also, so quite a lot to pick from. Some of the more sought-after species are quite expensive though.

I advise against coniferous hedging because conifers don't sprout out new growth if you cut it back hard. So you end up with no frond cover if you ever let it overgrow where you want it to be and have to cut it back, or cut it back too far by mistake. Many plants sold for coniferous hedging are fast growing, and become unpleasantly large if you don't manage them, become impossible to manage at the right size eventually. The prunings are no use in the compost bin. Also they are shallow rooted, so dry out the ground in their vicinity, and make it difficult to grow plants in their vicinity, even lawn can die off too close to them. The only advantage of conifers is that when you want to kill them, pruning them at ground level is sufficient.