Old 23-07-2007, 01:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help........

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
Hi Y'all,

A while back I mentioned a problem we are having with the local DOT
wanting to take out our water source thru our pasture. (don't remember
what thread it was on.) Got some good advice from some, but was wondering
what to do now.

For those who didn't catch it befo

We have a 20+ acre pasture outside of city/town limits. Currently we have
9 horses and 5 cows placed there. There is a ditch, which is actually a
run-off of the South River, that runs thru the middle of the pasture. The
water source is critical, as you know for the animals well-fare. Suddenly,
(after cattle have been on that pasture for years) DOT wants to go in and
re-dig the ditch, and fill it with rocks (the big landscaping kind). They
are planning on taking out at least 5 acres of our pasture, plus the water
source. Filling it with rock will keep the water from flowing deep enough
for the cattle to cool down (cows don't sweat, so in this heat we are
having, they need at least 2-3ft of water to stand in to cool themselves.)
Finding another pasture is not an option, can't afford to buy or rent
another place. We are not getting any help from the town or county
officials. The neighbors near the pasture don't want the work done either.

Someone on here (joe, was it? not sure..) mentioned that i should ask to
see their environmental impact report. I did, and they claim that I don't
have the right to see it. Say it's not necessary for me to see it. They
claim that the horses, *not* the cows who stand in the ditch most of the
time, are polluting the water. I don't see how, since no one has had
problems with their water locally. There have been cattle and horses in
that pasture for years, way before we ever got it to put ours on.

They plan to start their work mid-August. Is there anything else we can do
to fight this?

Thanks,
Rae

Missing information:

1) Where is "here"?

2) Your stream is a "run off"? You mean, it runs INTO the river? Yes, or no?

3) What water does the town claim is being polluted? The river? Drinking
water? Does the town get its drinking water from the river?

4) If the town does NOT get its water supply from the river, where DOES the
supply come from?