Old 23-07-2007, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default OT MS Vista

"William Poaster" wrote in message
It was on, or about, Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:57:48 +0100, that as I was
halfway through a large jam doughnut, BAC wrote:

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Thanks to a lightening strike I have had to replace one of our
machines, the
new one has "Vista" (I expect I will get used to it in time!) The point
of this posting is just to say that while much of my old third party
software has gone on without a murmur the same was not true of my very
expensive MS Office (2000) and I thought people may like to know I have
solved the problem by changing to "Open Office" which so far seems
completely compatible in both directions with ms office and only costs
£6 !!!

You'll be running it on Linux next ...

I've lurked in this ng for a while now, picking up some useful gardening
tips. :-)

I changed to using GNU/Linux 10 years ago. For me, it was best thing I
ever did. No viruses, not having to defrag etc..
And if I don't like one distribution, I can change to another.

I think open source / Linux is definitely the future. Microsoft's monopoly
can only last so long. I've recently got a copy of Linux Ubuntu and started
playing with that. Unfortuately I've not got it to recognise my modem yet,
so can't use it to access the internet. Linux / open source will definitely
take off as it becomes easier for people to install and get working. The
number of free applications available is also increasing. I plan to write a
few myself, time permitting.

David