Old 23-07-2007, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default OT MS Vista

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:17:49 +0200
"David \(Normandy\)" wrote:

[]
I think open source / Linux is definitely the future. Microsoft's monopoly
can only last so long. I've recently got a copy of Linux Ubuntu and started
playing with that. Unfortuately I've not got it to recognise my modem yet,
so can't use it to access the internet. Linux / open source will definitely
take off as it becomes easier for people to install and get working. The
number of free applications available is also increasing. I plan to write a
few myself, time permitting.

David,

You might try Suse. Ubuntu is a bit gear head.

We now run Suse 10 on several PCs and a laptop. No problem interacting
with a Windows environment using Open Office (which is indeed free). All
HW recognized.

Suse is very touchy-feely and an easy transition for a windows user. It
is also free, of course, so you can buy a new machine without paying MS anything.

For Windows we have 2000 pro on a dual boot, but I can't remember the last time
it was used. The reason is that there is a very good utility called Crossover which
lets you run windows SW under Linux. We use this to run full Acrobat, as well
as Office when a comfort factor is required. (Crossover is not free, though).
You can also run VM, apparently but I haven't done it.

Open Office also works great on the Mac, as well as my Irix box. The average
user certainly will never need anything more.

On topic perhaps I should make a planter from old PCs... Or perhaps not.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom