Old 23-07-2007, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default Any cures for fungus infected goosegogs?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:31:33 +0100
(A.Lee) wrote:

For the past 3 years my goosegogs have had a coating of powdery white
mildew type fungus. This is killed off by a spraying of fungicide, but
the residue make the gooseberries rather unappealing.
Obviously this is an ongoing problem, and occurs on 2 8yo bushes,bought
at the same time, planted around 30 yards apart.

To cure this, is it best to just pull them up, and replant new stock in
a different position, or is it likely to be a fault with the plants
position in the garden, or something in the soil?

I ripped mine out last year for this reason -- and they were quite old.

The powdery mildew never stopped them from making fine preserves,
but was uncontrollable. My plan is to replace with resistant varieties.
I believe "Invecta" is one, can't remember off hand.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to