Old 23-07-2007, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
William Poaster William Poaster is offline

Default OT MS Vista

It was on, or about, Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:17:49 +0200, that as I was
halfway through a large jam doughnut, David \(Normandy\) wrote:

"William Poaster" wrote in message
It was on, or about, Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:57:48 +0100, that as I was
halfway through a large jam doughnut, BAC wrote:

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Thanks to a lightening strike I have had to replace one of our
machines, the
new one has "Vista" (I expect I will get used to it in time!) The
point of this posting is just to say that while much of my old third
party software has gone on without a murmur the same was not true of
my very expensive MS Office (2000) and I thought people may like to
know I have solved the problem by changing to "Open Office" which so
far seems completely compatible in both directions with ms office and
only costs £6 !!!

You'll be running it on Linux next ...

I've lurked in this ng for a while now, picking up some useful
gardening tips. :-)

I changed to using GNU/Linux 10 years ago. For me, it was best thing I
ever did. No viruses, not having to defrag etc.. And if I don't like
one distribution, I can change to another.

I think open source / Linux is definitely the future. Microsoft's
monopoly can only last so long. I've recently got a copy of Linux Ubuntu
and started playing with that. Unfortuately I've not got it to recognise
my modem yet, so can't use it to access the internet.

It depends on the modem. If it's what's termed as a "winmodem"
or"softmodem", then there are *some* which will work under linux:
http://www.linmodems.org/

There is a how-to here, which may help:
http://www.walbran.org/sean/linux/linmodem-howto.html

Hardware modems, such as ASDL modem/routers, are usually detected &
automatically configured by the OS as you install.

Linux / open source will definitely take off as it becomes easier for
people to install and get working. The number of free applications
available is also increasing.

Yes.Ubuntu is based on Debian, & at present there are around 18,700
packages/applications. There is a list he
http://packages.debian.org/stable/

I plan to write a few myself, time permitting.

There appear to be plenty of development tools. :-)
http://packages.debian.org/stable/devel/